Showing your authentic self....embracing SELF LOVE

Thanks to a dear friend on Facebook and her whimsical comment, I was really able to think deeply about my journey in art.  When I was a child and did something that people praised me on, I soaked it up like a sponge and tried to please everyone more.   How many times, in your life, do you do things in hopes to please others?  Many times it is genuine, as a surprise or gift, but other times you do it to perhaps appeal to society.  For example: How many of us take selfies and try to look our best, so people will like us?  We don't take them in our pajamas with messy hair and that just got out of bed face....giggle.  When we take pictures of where we have been, it's partially for the memories, but also to share.  Some people love to flaunt their lifestyle and material things.  (Not everyone, but some).  So the point I am trying to make, how many of you, that are artistic in nature, create things to try to please others?  To try to make a sale?  That it will be popular and individuals will gravitate to it to make a sale?



I have many silly, whimsical ideas in my head that I rarely put them down on paper.  Recently, by someone who loves me dearly, I have been encouraged to "draw from the heart" and "create what makes me excited".  I pondered that for months and years..... if I do, will it sell?  What about all the time and love poured into an item only to have it flat-line and fail?   Then I had an epiphany of sorts....  What does it matter if no once purchases it? I've made many pieces I thought were grand slams and yet not a single purchase came from the piece.  Was it exciting to create? Or am I going through the motions, still enjoying the process, but only with part of my heart?  Did I finally show my  authentic self? Am I being true to who I am?  Will I gaze upon it and smile because finally a creation is not being made for others, but just for me?  After mulling around all of these questions around in my head, I knew this is something that needed to be done.  Yes, it will seem odd and majorly OFF....giggle.   But that is ME.   As a child, my mom labeled me UNIQUE.  She even wanted me to wear a t-shirt that had it printed on it.  I use to resent that so much.  Why couldn't I be "normal".  But now, I want to celebrate the uniqueness and open my mind and all of the magical characters within me to the world.   I know many will just look at them and scratch their head.  Other might find them fascinating.  However, I know, in my heart - I will gaze upon them with loving eyes and say "Welcome buddy, you've arrived, thank you for being a part of my world. It's time to share you with others."   I can't emphasize this enough, I am thrilled.

The creation that is in the works is a "bird & cat creature".  I'll have to give him a name, but it hasn't come to me yet.   This creature lives in a mystical/magical forest.  It will have the head of a Maine Coon cat and the body of a bird.  The feathers on it's back are shaped like cat tails, but there will be many of them. He will be sharpening his claws on a tree that has a face hidden in the bark.  It's difficult to explain without seeming as if I have totally fallen off the rocker...giggle.  But stay tuned and you will see this creature come to life.  I started sketching last night and honestly, didn't want to go to bed because it was calling to me.  The feeling is like waiting for Christmas morning to open all the presents.  You just can't wait, the clock is standing still.   Thank goodness I have a loving family to keep me on track.  Otherwise, I'd be that old, kinda scary cat lady, in the big old Victorian home that rarely comes out.

Please, if you are afraid to show who you really are, don't be.  Celebrate YOU and SHINE.  Life is to short to set value upon yourself by the opinions of others.  I can honestly say, with all my heart, I love me and all of the quirky characters and ideas that are deep within me.  It's time to stop being afraid.




Comments

Popular Posts