Labels placed upon you......

In life, have you ever had someone jokingly place a label on you, that you didn't find cute or humorous?  Did you cringe each time someone said it?  Then welcome to a part of my life that I had to mentally figure out, accept with love and in the end find peace.

 Obviously, I love cats.  I love to draw cats.  Many times, when I'm at an art fair, or showing my work in art shops/galleries, people will say to me "Oh, you are a CAT artist".   That statement would be like fingernails on a chalk board.  It was something that made me hang my head and feel unworthy of the title artist.  Almost as if cat artists are made of lesser talent and skill than landscape artists.  At first, it really hurt my feelings.   I would stop and immediately picture in my mind those little old ladies that hoard cats, their house smells funny and fur covers all of their clothes.   I didn't want to be that "cat lady".   I would purposefully push away the feelings of embracing my "cat art."  I would get all flustered and say "Well, I do draw more than just cats."    I am very well qualified when it comes to drawing anything that is thrown my way.  However, I really do have a connection to cats and birds.   In fact, I have a great joy making the personality of a cat come through in my portraits.

Then, one day, I came to a realization, the majority of people that labeled me a "cat artist", had no idea who I was as a person.   They were just observing my work that was on display in front of their eyes.   If they loved cats, it was said with utter joy and amazement.  If they didn't like cats, it was said in a rather condescending tone.  I had to cross the bridge of feeling hurt or "labeled" by their opinion or perception.   I needed to stand strong and understand, there is more to me than just my cat art.  My cat art is an EXTENSION of who I am.   The joy that my cat art exudes from each and every creation will shine, regardless if the viewer likes it or not.  I have such an immense sense of gratitude for cats, because as a child - they were a friend to me when no one else would be.   They patiently sat on my lap, followed me around and helped carry me through some very difficult times.   Their purr is absolutely magical for healing my weary soul.   As I child, I always pictures a tiny little boat with an outdoor motor on it, magically riding inside my cats tummy.   It was amazing to me.   So if that connection bursts forth in my art, then so be it.   Because to me, It's all about LOVE.   (That seems to be a theme in my life and blog... <3 )

So, I have come to the point I love my art.   All aspects of it.  If someone doesn't like it, that is absolutely fine with me as their are millions of other artists that will be creating magnificent pieces that might resonate better with them.   I wish them all the best in finding that connection.   Once they do, LOVE will spill forth and the artist will shine.  



My message to you:  Embrace who you are, never vary from your path due to other people's perceptions of what they think you should be.   Never try to fit your square peg in a round hole, it will never work.   Until you accept who you are and embrace it, you will never be able to shine to your brightest potential.  

Comments

  1. Your art is a gift to the world, whatever shape it happens to take on any given day <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts