Fear of Failure, are we all in the same boat?

I have always had the desire to write children's books and illustrate them.   Nothing would give me more joy, than knowing little ones are enjoying my stories and pictures.  Knowing my joy is shared with others through my art and stories would really bring all of my efforts to full circle.

So many times I share my art and random strangers ask me "Have you ever considered writing children's books?"   I always say "It's in the works".   But honestly, it's overwhelming.  I don't know where to obtain the determination to complete them.  I'm scared.

So, the question is "Why haven't you finished one?"    I've wondered about that for years.  I have many books written, many partially illustrated and tons of ideas whirling around in my head.  Yet why can't I see one through to completion?  I think it's fear.   Fear of failure.  Fear that no one will enjoy the stories.  Fear that I can't meet up to people's expectations.  Fear that I spent hours and hours on all of the books only to find out they sit on a shelf,  never touched, shared or enjoyed.  Or perhaps it's fear people will want more.  Maybe I won't have the magic to create another one.  (Which I know is silly as I have tons written.)  It's almost like I'm self sabotaging my "dream job" and trying to get happiness from just creating art for "cards or prints".
This is from my Tiny Shell book

I often say "Oh, I'm suffering from burn out and drawing the same thing over and over gets old".  But how many time does everyone experience "burn out" on their daily tasks.   Many people have to work at a job they dislike, but they get up every morning and have a successful day.   I logically can understand that, but I just can't seem to get one finished.

Some books that are in the works are:   The Alphabet Shadow Cats.  I have all the letters complete, except 3.  It would be easy to finish those 3 letters, yet I push them away like the plague.


I have Rascal the Raindrop.   This book I have written, I'm working on the illustrations and I'm about 1/3 done.  Yet again.... I've stalled.


Next, I have 2 books that are in  Kindle format already out there.  But I want them in print.  I want to do the illustrations by hand versus computer generated.  I want the kids to be drawn into my books and mesmerized by the colorful illustrations.  So, for two books - I just need to rework the illustrations.   The stories are complete.   They are :"The tiny shell" and "The Happy Little Cupcake".


I know many of you suffer from this same issue.  I'd love to hear from you!  Do you have a way to work through something you are afraid of, or not motivated to do?   Share, share, share..... if you can't help me, perhaps someone else out there could really use your suggestions too!

Have a great week and thanks for joining me on this journey!

Comments

  1. I am not creative at all, so I have no advice or experiences to share...except to say you should finish the one that is the closest to being done, and do it for YOU. So you can say "Yay ME" to yourself! So what if no one else loves it - YOU do! And YOU are the most important thing, really. Go for it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I so appreciate it. I think the alphabet book is the closest to being done. I do love creating all of these, but the formatting, self publishing and more is a tad overwhelming. But your nudge helps.... Thank you so much. {{HUGS}}

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts