In the dead of Winter, a Pink Flamingo comes to mind....

This past week was a cold, I mean a really cold.  Every news story is highlighting the fact almost everyone across the United States is getting hit by a cold spell.   I will be the first to say, I am not a fan of winter or the cold.   I love the sun, we are best friends.  I don't necessarily want to bake under Mr. Sun, but a nice warm temp with lots of light is ideal for me.   Now that the snow, ice storms and rain have descended upon us, where does my mind go?   To a tropical location..... or the beach, or perhaps to a Flamingo.   Yeah, a bright pink Flamingo... the kind that make you wonder how much of their food did they have to eat to achieve that bright pink color.

Then my thoughts drift to, what would a Flamingo in my world be like?  Well, he would be cool.  He most certainly would be wearing a Fedora style hat.   One must protect those delicate feathers on top of his head.  <grins>   I think next, a nice Hawaiian shirt would be perfect.   The kind that just screams "Casual Friday" at work.   He needs to have a serious type face, but every time I see a Flamingo they do not appear to be aloof or flighty.   They almost seem a tad stodgy, but I shall just keep mine tropical cool, yet serious.

I mull him around for a day or two inside my head and then, the magic begins.   I have to sketch him.



 He looks pretty serious to me.  He looks ready to conquer the hotel pool and order little yummy drinks with umbrellas in them.  Now, it's my job to make that happen.  I need to bring him to life, so he can accomplish all the tropical vacationing he desires.  So, I pull out my watercolors and let the process begin.


Here he is, a little faded, but he is ready to pop off the canvas.   I start with his hat adding some straw detail and a buckle.  Then I get distracted by his eye.  It's as if he wants to be staring me down the entire time I'm creating him, so - I start working on his eye.  Next, the feathers coming up the top of his head.   Oh my, he is a tad intimidating.   Will I be able to finish him without covering up that eye with a piece of paper?


I think I shall go back to my studio and see what I can do to help this fella out.   I will return in a couple of days and fill you in on my progress.  In the meantime, have a beautiful week and thanks again for joining me on the magnificent journey of my art.   - Sommer

Comments

Popular Posts