The Creation of Mrs, Emu, the Librarian.... (Part 1)

The other day, I was looking up on the internet, the type of bird the cat dragged (literally).  While searching for the present from my outdoor cat, I came across a picture of an Emu.

As I sat there, looking at it's big expressive eyes, I was intrigued and wanted to look at more pictures of Emu's.   Thus, the search began.   I found the most expressive picture of an Emu and I thought, this bird looks like it belongs in a library.

Then my mind started to picture an old antique book case filled with books.  The beautiful books with the gold on the spines.  The kind of book you just want to rub your hand along the spine and smell the musty pages,  then slip into a soft chair with a cup of coffee and escape into another world.

As I stared at the Emu's picture more, I wanted this beautiful bird to have cat eye framed glasses.  Why?   Because they just fit, that's why.   <grins>  Then, I  thought of a nice strand of pearls around her neck, which would be perfect for her style.

I now had to put her on paper, to get her out of my head.  I knew this was the beginning of something magnificent.   Once an idea begins to unfold, I have to put it on paper or it won't leave.  Almost like it's a bill collector relentless in it's phone calls - it keeps saying "Put me on paper.... come on, you know you want to draw me.... aren't Emu's cute..... and so on."    Eventually, I have to give in and create.

Now Mrs. Emu, the Librarian is born.  I couldn't wait to add some color to her, so immediately I pulled out my watercolors and began putting all the exciting colors onto paper.   My vision of her was coming alive!


I woke up the next day, giddy with excitement because I knew I was going to make her come to life!   With literally 100's of colored pencils on my desk, I started to make her pop from the paper.   I started with the books on the top shelf, picking out perfect bird book titles for each and every novel.   From Nesting Tips, to Migration, this librarian has it covered.  <grin>   


Soon, this old bird started to POP!  Just as I had envisioned her in my mind.   I was filled with happiness, she's alive.... alive.  (Almost as great as Gene Wilder said it in Young Frankenstein).  

Now, it's time to quit blogging and get back to creating magic.   I'll be posting Part 2 soon.   Have a beautiful day and thanks for stopping by.




Comments

Popular Posts