Touching other's with art....

Sometimes you just have to really contemplate what you are doing and how it affects others.  Many times while creating a piece of art, I ponder what message am I trying to send to the admirer of my art.  Is it joy?  Touching their heart with a likeness of their precious fur baby?  Just to put a smile on someone's face?   Or all of the above?   I honestly do not orchestrate my art just to people please.  It's not me, nor my style.  I am not a money making machine that creates art for the mighty dollar.  I want CONNECTION.   I just let what is inside me flow outward.   When I look at a pet photograph that someone wishes me to create, I often think "I wish I could connect to the love and joy they shared together."  I love when they share their fur babies personality and favorite things to do with me.  It helps me connect even more.  Once I feel I know the vibe of the piece, I start to sketch.  Many times, after the portrait is finished - I find out I able to touch the individual with my art.  I have received so many beautiful messages telling me how I have captured their "essence, personality and love".   That is the goal - touching others through my art.



When it comes to the Shadow Kitties, I always try to think of the mischievous personalities of cats.   They have to be the must curious, independent, and aloof creatures on earth.  I love how they just do their own thing in their own way.  Rules? When it comes to rules and guidelines, cats do not have any.  No matter how much we humans "think" we are in control, we know deep down they are in charge.  <grins>   When images come to mind, I try to place them doing their "own" thing to add whimsy to the portraits.  It's always fun and makes me smile.   Many times, people have written me with stories filled with humor of how their cats do the same things that the Shadow Kitties are doing.   That fills my heart with joy and I know I am connecting with their heart, thus - touching others with my art.

My whimsical characters that I create from all animals, is a deep part of my imagination.  I decided to create an imaginary cafe, called The Whimsical Cafe.  I wanted a place for all of these adorable characters to gather.  When I was a child,  I loved Busy Town by Richard Scarry.  It was my favorite book and he was my favorite author.   I love how all the animals where in their own world, just like us, enjoying life in an almost human like way.    When I see animals now, I can't help but feel like they are like us.   I randomly come across various animals in pictures and advertisements and instantly I see them in clothes or as a person in an occupation.  The wheels start turning and I can't wait to sketch it.   I tend to have a fondness for cats and birds.   The Whimsical Cafe has allowed me to create what ever my mind comes up with.  I've created an Emu, Flamingo, Turkey Vulture, Pelican, Raven, Elephant, Owl, Goat and a Rooster.   Currently in the works - I have an Ocelot and Kookaburra bird.   Each one of these characters are created with great, realistic detail - yet a touch of whimsy thrown in.  I'm not a serious person, I prefer things light, happy and joyful.  An elephant just standing in a field isn't right for my style of art.  I need to have his trunk holding a coffee mug that reads "I <3 peanuts".  <grins>   The goal of this art is to get people to look at the beautiful animals in a different way and connect with them on some level.  Maybe, just maybe evoke a smile or laugh from the individual that gazes upon my art.  Again - touching others with my art.

Last, but certainly not least, is the moment I can bring tears to someones eyes with my art.   The emotions could be joy, memories, reflection or just pure happiness.  That is the most precious gift I have been given.  Having the ability to TOUCH someone with love, in their heart, with my art.

Sending love and gratitude to you all, for all of your comments and support.  - Sommer



Comments

Popular Posts