Whimsical Characters.....

When creating my art, I have a very difficult time being serious.   Can I create landscapes or beautiful scenes that capture the essence of the moment?  Yes, yes I can.   Can I create realistic people and animals down to the very singular hair on their eyelashes?  Yes, yes I can.   But the question that lingers while typing this is.....You know you can do it, but do you enjoy it?

I've struggled with this aspect so much in my art.   Do I draw and create for others?  Or do I share the whimsical, joyful, silly side that is 100% me?  If you follow the old adage "Do what you love and you will never have to work a day in your life"..... then following my hearts desire to share the somewhat quirky characters that reside within me makes perfect sense.  I've been told time and time again, do not spend time creating work to "people please" or hoping a "normal" painting will create more sales and skyrocket me to fame & fortune.  

I started drawing as a meditative form of relaxation, to find myself an outlet for expressing joy and happiness.   Then I started to share on social media and surprise many people liked it.   So now, I get to work on my happiness and joy and in turn, bring happiness and joy to others.   It's a win win.   As I stated in my previous blog entry, I'm taking more time, creating more detailed pieces but letting that silly side of myself blossom.   I can still create beauty, but I'm going to create it with something that is totally unique from any other.  ME!   100% Sommer Rayn.   I use to feel bad, as a child when my mother labeled me Unique.   But now?   I love the fact you can't find someone who is quite like me. The result?  My art is very different from most too.

This year, I am giving myself a big hug and telling myself it's perfectly fine to be YOU and SHINE.   Don't change who you are to fit in with others idea of who you should be as an artist.   Just BE.... Just SHINE... and guess what?   When I follow these wise words it's going to be a very  BEAUTIFUL thing.  


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts