Having fun with oils....

I have so many childhood memories of receiving "Paint by number" sets for Christmas and I refused to create the portrait.  Instead, I'd use the canvas and paints to create my own masterpiece.   My mom would always ask "Why do you do that when you have a perfect portrait underneath?"   Well, I really didn't want to do a portrait their way, I wanted it my own creation. (Just like the mind of a true artist).

Fast forward many, many years..... We just purchased a little starter set of oil paints, canvas paper,  some lovely brushes and even an easel (desktop size).   Just the past couple of nights, we had watched about 1 1/2 episodes of Bob Ross oil painting series from PBS and we were ready to make some happy trees come forth from our brushes.   We decided to paint on the patio for a fun atmosphere with fresh air.

Our table and pallets were set up and we decided to let the magic begin!  

I had visions of creating the most dreamy snow scene, what bubbled forth was more of a very cold winter scene.  Brrrrrr....looking at it, I even feel cold.   



Since the temps outside were in the mid to high 80's, I thought maybe I should shift my oil painting to something a little more warm in climate.... and then a beach scene was born.  


 It was very fun to create these paintings and we had an amazing afternoon. Good conversation, yummy cold beverages and the lightness of just creating for the fun of it.   It was wonderful to be able to reconnect with the inner child that loved to be free to just paint what was inside her head.   I love  all aspects of art and exploring different mediums is always refreshing and exciting.  

Comments

Popular Posts